Umuhango wo kurobanura Umwepiskopi mukuru
Kurobanura Umwepiskopi mukuru w' itorero Angilikani mu Rwanda, Archbishop Dr. Onesphore Rwaje
Bishop and wives
Bishops and their Wives in a Retreat to fight against AIDS and gender based Violence
Two missionary Doctors of Church Missionary Society (CMS), Arthur Stanley Smith and Leonard Sharp, started their mission trips to the Eastern area of Gisaka in Rwanda in 1914-1916 from Kabale, in Uganda. In 1922, they reached Rukira via Kigali and Geoffrey Holmes, Captain from the British army, started the mission at Gahini in 1925.
In 1926, Reverend Halord Guillebaud baptized the first converts at Gahini. Reverend Harold started the translation into Kinyarwanda of Christian literature. Other missions were started in 1931 by Reverend Geoffrey Holmes at Kigeme and reverend Verity and Dr.Tarbot at Shyira. In 1935-1936 there was a spiritual revival that commenced at Gahini and expanded to East Africa, Europe and other parts of the world such as India.